[Rio-pm] YAPC::NA 2012 - Parabéns garu !

breno breno em rio.pm.org
Quinta Junho 21 10:29:06 PDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Randal L. Schwartz
<merlyn em stonehenge.com> wrote:
> What's funny is he was out of the room at the first announcement, so he
> didn't come up to accept his award in time.  It wasn't until a few
> minutes later that he showed up to say "oh hi, I'm here". :)

I blame it all on Robert Blackwell's amazing Hardware Hackathon. I was
completely focused on getting a mini-tank to walk using Arduino and
Perl, until he rushed into the room to let me know. The dialog went
something like this:

- Garu! Your attention is required in the conference room!

- Hm? What's up? (thinking maybe they were doing a BoF on conferences
or something)

- (doing a little dance) You just won yourself a white camel, baby!

- Wha.... WHAT????!!!!

- Yeah! Come on down and claim your award!

- I... I... WHAT????!!!

And then I rushed to the conference room with Auggy and Rafl,
desperately failing to untangle myself from all the wires and LEDs and
leaving all my stuff behind, still trying to figure out what the hell
had just happened. I got to there and everybody clapped and I was
completely embarrassed, I mean, a white camel, wow!! Then a lot of
people, several of them my own personal Perl heroes, came to
congratulate me and I still don't think it really hit me yet =)

I'm living proof that they do NOT let the winner know anything about
it beforehand - heck, they didn't even announce the award ceremony was
happening! :-P

Cheers,

-b