[Rio-pm] Fwd: [sf-perl] [news] Fwd: [Perlweekly] The current Perl Weekly News - Issue #7

Lindolfo Lorn Rodrigues lorn em lornlab.org
Segunda Setembro 12 19:15:46 PDT 2011

Legal mesmo, alguém já conhecia?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Peter Thoeny <peter em thoeny.org>
Date: 2011/9/12
Subject: [sf-perl] [news] Fwd: [Perlweekly] The current Perl Weekly News -
Issue #7
To: San Francisco Perl Mongers User Group <sanfrancisco-pm em pm.org>

All:

I subscribed last week to the Perl Weekly e-mail newsletter and find it
quote informative. Sharing it in case you do not yet know of Gabor Szabo's
newsletter.

FYI,
Peter

Begin forwarded message:

*From: *Gabor Szabo <gabor em szabgab.com>
*Date: *September 11, 2011 11:24:20 PM PDT
*To: *perlweekly em perlweekly.com
*Subject: **[Perlweekly] The current Perl Weekly News - Issue #7*

   Perl Weekly <http://perlweekly.com/>

Issue #7 - September 12, 2011
 You can read the newsletter on the web<http://perlweekly.com/archive/7.html>,
if you prefer.

Hi there,

It seems the pas week brought us less articles but nevertheless I found a
few interesting ones.

The Perl Weekly was mentioned in the DevOps
Weekly<http://devopsweekly.com/>that brought us a few more
subscribers.

I also found out that the subscribe button of the Perl Weekly was partially
broken due to the same-origin policy enforced in some browsers more than in
others. I fixed this now. I hope.

Not to the posts:

Articles

DotCloud::Environment<http://blogs.perl.org/users/polettix/2011/09/dotcloudenvironment.html>
Flavio Poletti introduces his 'yet to be fully released' module to make it
easy to handle the environment in DotCloud

Testing with sqlite<http://engineerofdanger.blogspot.com/2011/09/testing-with-sqlite.html>
Anthony Pallatto (actualeyes) suggests to use SQLite in your testing
environment instead of the database used in production. Using SQLite
certainly has some advantages but there is the great danger of anything in
production being different from the testing environment. SQLite can be good
to reduce the complexity to setup development and testing environments but
just as you do full test cycles every now and then (preferably frequently)
so should you use a system as close to the deployment environment as
possible.

Perl says 'Hello
I-Programmer'<http://www.i-programmer.info/programming/perl/3001-perl-says-hi-to-i-programmer.html>
This is the first article I wrote to the I-Programmer.info web site. It
probably won't be an earth shattering experience for you but it is my first
one on I-Programmer. It is mostly there so I'll have an in-house article to
refer to on how to start using Perl when I write more complex examples.

Lessons from running Perl Weekly for the first 6
weeks<http://szabgab.com/blog/2011/09/lessons-from-running-perl-weekly-for-the-first-6-weeks.html>
This is another article I wrote, this time on my own blog, describing my
experience with this list. It might be interesting to you if you'd like to
look a bit at the details. I am also comparing the experience with that of
Peter Cooper who runs the Ruby Weekly which was the inspiration to this
newsletter.

Parrot

Parrot is a foundering project on top of a wonderful
vision.<http://lists.parrot.org/pipermail/parrot-dev/2011-September/006179.html>
Christoph Otto took off the gloves and started to describe how he wants
Parrot, and more importantly the Parrot development process to change. This
is a link to the opening message on the parrot-dev mailing list with many
important responses.

Parrot, the Smoke
Clears<http://whiteknight.github.com/2011/09/10/dust_settles.html>
Andrew Whitworth (aka Whiteknight on black background) takes the above
e-mail discussion and writes a lengthy article about the interaction between
the Parrot and the Rakudo (Perl 6) projects. Compared with the JVM and the
CLR how they have a primary language but how they have started to be good
targets for other languages as well.

Code

Parameterized Roles with
MooseX::Declare<http://metacpan.perldition.org/articles/Parameterized%20Roles%20with%20MooseX%3A%3ADeclare.pod>
Florian Ragwitz (rafl) shows the new, undocumented feature of
MooseX::Declare and points to the Github repository where you could help
improve the documentation.

Going Postal (with Dancer)<http://babyl.dyndns.org/techblog/entry/going-postal>
Yanick Champoux (yanick), in his usual colorful way, describes how he wrote
a plugin for Dancer to handle postal fees in Canada. I am sure if it can be
done in Canada it can be done elsewhere as well. The nice thing is that he
even provides a way to save money. Even if not on the actual postal fees.

Simple Mojolicious RSS
feed<http://markam.posterous.com/simple-mojolicious-rss-feed>
Mark Meyer (mark) gives a nice and simple example on how distribute updates
about changes in a system with a very simple Mojolicious application. If
only the fonts were bigger on this blog...

How to Run a Long Background Process in a Web App
<http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Blog/BlogEntry201109x2>
Peter Thoeny from Twiki explains a way how to handle long running processes
lot of people who want to build a web interface to an existing system. Eg. a
build machine. Unfortunately this solution does not work on Windows.

Memory::Usage - Aktuelle Speichernutzung (Current memory usage) in
German<http://perl-howto.de/2011/09/memoryusage-aktuelle-speichernutzung.html>
Thomas Fahle gives a code example and explains (in German) how to check what
is the memory usage of the current process. So a script or application could
report its own memory usage. (This is also Linux/Unix only.)

Perl 6

'nom' branch is now default, release
status<http://rakudo.org/2011/09/09/nom-branch-default/>
Patrick Michaud (pmichaud) provides us with an update on the status of the
Rakudo development. The next release is further delayed but the good news
that it will already come from the new 'nom' branch that is the new rewrite
of the whole engine.

-n and -p <http://strangelyconsistent.org/blog/dash-n-and-dash-p-part-three>
This is the third part of the series Carl Mäsak has written showing us how
the -n and -p parameters work in Rakudo Perl 6. The others are on his blog
as well.

Padre

Fancy syntax checking with Padre
<http://ahmadzawawi.blogspot.com/2011/09/fancy-syntax-checking-with-padre.html>
Ahmad M. Zawawi (azawawi) shows a screenshot of his new addition to Padre,
the Perl IDE. You don't even have to wait for the next release of Padre to
use that. You can run it directly from the development environment.

Events

Portuguese Perl Workshop <http://workshop.perl.pt/ptpw2011/>
September 22-23, 2011, Lisbon, Portugal

OSDC.fr - French Open Source Developers'
Conference<http://act.osdc.fr/osdc2011fr/>
September 23-24, 2011, Paris, France

The Pittsburgh Perl Workshop <http://pghpw.org/ppw2011/>
October 8-9, 2011, Pittsburgh, PA, USA

YAPC::Asia <http://yapcasia.org/2011/>
October 13-15, 2011, Tokyo, Japan. The biggest Perl conference in the world.

Black Perl 2011 Workshop <http://black-perl.org/bp2011/>
September 30 - October 2, 2011, Black Sea, Ukraine

German Perl workshop <http://conferences.yapceurope.org/gpw2011/>
October 19-21, 2011, Frankfurt Am Main, Germany

London Perl Workshop (LPW2011) <http://conferences.yapceurope.org/lpw2011/>
November 12, 2011, London, UK (what a surprise :)

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming
language and related topics.
Want to see more? See the archives <http://perlweekly.com/archive/> of all
the issues.
Reading this as a non-subscriber? click here to join
us<http://perlweekly.com/>free of charge.
(c) Gabor Szabo <http://szabgab.com/>
don't want to receive mails any more.

  * Peter Thoeny                             Peter[at]Thoeny.org
  * http://twiki.net - Twiki, Inc. - Enterprise Agility
  * http://twiki.org <http://TWiki.org/> - is your team already TWiki
enabled?
  * Knowledge cannot be managed, it can be discovered and shared
  * This e-mail is:   (_) private    (x) ask first    (_) public