[suse-schools-usa] We need a list charter [ was: Re: Whoa ]

tom poe tompoe at renonevada.net
Fri Apr 12 13:38:29 CDT 2002

On Friday 12 April 2002 10:27, Christopher Mahmood wrote:
- - - snip - - -
> I won't, but there's some work to do.  For one, "we" (meaning you)
> should try to come up with a charter for the list.  I.e  Currently,
> it's
>         A list devoted to the use and support of Linux in schools.
>         Please note that we have a separate list for this topic that is
>         specific to the UK -- suse-linux-uk-schools
>
> That's sufficiently vague to allow almost any topic.  Maybe that's
> what you want, maybe not.  Here are my opinions.

ANS:   Vague is good.

> I'd rather not see it become a list where people try to get support
> for Linux--we have general lists in three languages (and two
> specially setup up for blind users who are reading on a Braille
> display) that are better suited for this because of their size and
> activity.  If people start debating the merits of various filesystems
> and vm implementations the non-technical people will get bored and
> unsubscribe.  If suppport-type questions get posted they definitely
> won't be answered with the speed they would be on suse-linux-e.

ANS:  Easy.  Just give us a starting model for a school demo setup and we
move past the technical stuff, and then it becomes a list for sharing
experiences around the model.

> Also, I don't think it should nec. be specific to SuSE. If your
> school will only accept Redhat because that's "Linux" in their minds
> that's understandable given their marketing (of course we'd appreciate
> you trying to convince them otherwise :)) but it seems that the
> 'schools' part of the name should take precedence over the 'suse'
> part; we didn't create the list as a cheap marketing ploy.

ANS:  SuSE and IBM work to put "models" together for industry, and should
have one for school demo for SuSE as well.  If the SuSE model looks good, the
schools can then ask for a different distribution, if they want.

> Anyway, feel free to send suggestions or comments to ml-admin at suse.com.

ANS:  You are a magnanimous list moderator.  And, for this person, a thank
you for your kind assistance.

Thanks,
Tom Poe
Reno, NV