[Raleigh-talk] creating a backdated CPAN repo from an autobundle

James Olin Oden james.oden at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 12:16:16 PST 2008

> > Some of you may have heard me moaning in #trilug about a little
> > project I've been working on.  I've heard some excellent suggestions,
> > however feel that I've been asking the wrong question.
> >
> > I have a machine whose bundle I'd like to use as the reference for
> > other machines.  I would like to use the autobundle from this machine
> > to create a cpan repo so that my other machines can install identical
> > modules -- however many of these are backdated versions.  I need to
> > preserve these versions, however, because it's a very sensitive
> > production environment that I must keep homogenous, and I cannot
> > update modules without performing regression tests on our application
> > first.
> >
> > That said, is there any way to create a CPAN repository from an
> > autobundle, and subsequently use that autobundle on other machines.
> > The tough part here is getting the appropriate versions of the modules
> > into the repository, many of which will have to come from backpan.
> > I've tried creating scripts to parse the autobundle and then find the
> > appropriate backpan module.  I've encountered some trouble with this.
> > Also, I could rsync the modules dirs but worry about dependency
> > problems.
> >
> > Ideas?!
Typically, I would solve this problem with packaging.   I would have a
package of the version of
perl I wanted to use with its builtin modules, and then each
additional module would be
in its own package (this is very easy with cpanflute2 which comes with
RPM::Specfile span module).
Then I would have a directory filled with these packages, and anytime
I needed to update a machine's
perl environment, I would just install any newwer packages or missing
ones...much easier done
with something like yum.

I know that is not exactly what your asking, but it is a sane approach
that solves the problem you
are trying to solve.

Package Monkey crawls back into his hole...james