[Purdue-pm] "Perl 6 One-Liners" with corrections and additions

Mark Senn mark at purdue.edu
Mon Mar 11 06:10:53 PDT 2019

There is a "Perl 6 One-Liners" presentation by Andrew Shitov on the web
at
    https://www.slideshare.net/andy.sh/perl6-oneliners
I recommend it.  My advice---puzzle out the easy stuff, if something
looks hard skip it until you have more experience with Perl 6.

William F. Buckley Jr. knew lots of English words and could use the most
appropriate tool (word) for a task.  He wasn't afraid to use sharp tools
among not-so-sharp company.  Perl 6 has many more tools than Perl 5 and
is a joy to use.  The new operators are arranged into groups that make
sense and can be combined in---in my opinion---very natural ways.  I
urge you to learn the new vocabulary but not abuse it by trying to be
too clever.  Programming involves typing and thinking, Perl 6 allows me
to do less of each.  I find well-written Perl 6 programs much easier to
read than Perl 5.

In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to write "down" to the lowest
common denominator.  It's faster, cheaper, and more fun to use sharper
tools.

-mark