[Purdue-pm] Perl Challenge 018

Mark Senn mark at ecn.purdue.edu
Tue Aug 6 07:29:27 PDT 2019

Dear Mark Daniel Ward,

I've heard of Project Euler but haven't worked on any problems there.

Damian Conway wrote in
http://blogs.perl.org/users/damian_conway/2019/07/chopping-substrings.html
    The “best practice” solution is a technique known as suffix trees, which
    requires some moderately complex coding. However, we can get very
    reasonable performance for strings up to hundreds of thousands of
    characters long using a much simpler approach.

Damian's entire Perl 6 program to find the longest common substring for
strings given on the command line is

sub MAIN (*@strings) {
    .say for
        max :all, :by{.chars},
}

He discusses larger problems there and lists code for an
O(N log N) algorithm.  (I have not tried that code.)

Perl Weekly Challenge - 020, Task #1 is
    Write a script to accept a string from command line and split it on
    change of character. For example, if the string is “ABBCDEEF”, then it
    should split like “A”, “BB”, “C”, “D”, “EE”, “F”.
I'm going to try and solve this in Perl 6 using the comb command.
I think that will make it easy---but I haven't tried it yet.

Regards, Mark Senn