[Purdue-pm] Perl Weekly Challenge - 004

Ward, Mark Daniel mdw at purdue.edu
Mon Apr 22 01:45:08 PDT 2019

Dear Mark,

Many thanks for sharing!  These are interesting.

If you plan to share at large with the world, I see 3 tiny corrections
to what you sent.

1.  In your email, you mentioned the link:

https://perlweeklychallenge.org/blog/perl-weekly-challenge-005/f

but I think the "f" at the end of the URL should be removed.

2.  In this pdf file:

https://engineering.purdue.edu/~mark/pwc-004.pdf

you have this formula for Pi:

$$\pi = 4\sum_{k >= 0} -1^{k}\frac{1}{2k+1}$$

but the $-1^{k}$ looks strange.  By order of operations, we should put
$-1$ into parenthesis, so that it looks like this:

$$\pi = 4\sum_{k >= 0} (-1)^{k}\frac{1}{2k+1}$$

3.  In the summation of the formula above, the sum looks more natural if
you write $\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}$ or if you write $\sum_{k\geq 0}$.
Either way would look better than $\sum_{k >= 0}$.  Just FYI.

I hope that those are helpful early-morning comments!

Again, thank you very much for sharing..... just wanted you to know that
we are reading what you are sending!

Best wishes,

Mark