[Purdue-pm] (no subject)

Mark Senn mark at purdue.edu
Mon Sep 17 06:12:58 PDT 2018

Perl 6 is Perl 5 redesigned and rewritten from the ground up but it
still feels like programming in Perl 5.  In my opinion, Perl 6 is a much
better language than Perl 5---Perl 5 is more mature now but if Perl 6 has
all the packages you need I suggest you start using it to get familar
with it.

An easy-to-read, description of "How subroutine signatures work in Perl
6" for beginners is available at
    https://opensource.com/article/18/9/signatures-perl-6

It's easy to read, not too long, and covers basic knowledge one needs to
define their own Perl 6 subroutines.

For me, the best way to learn Perl 6 has been by reading articles like
the above.  The knowledge is bite-sized, gives you enough to do simple
things, but doesn't cover all the material a reference manual does.
Perl 6 is powerful---it is hard to try and learn everything at once.

-mark