[Purdue-pm] Discussion Topic: Perl Jam

Joe Kline gizmo at purdue.edu
Tue Mar 8 13:23:46 PST 2016

On 03/08/2016 01:45 PM, Dave Jacoby wrote:
> Netanel Rubin presented a talk at the Chaos Computer Club called "Perl
> Jam".
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noQcWra6sbU
>
> Then he did it again.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH_u3C2WwQ0
>
> The guy is a jerk and at least partially a troll. Because of this, I
> didn't finish the first video, and I haven't started the second.
>
> David Farrell wrote a response for Perl Tricks.
>
> http://perltricks.com/article/netanel-rubins-perljam-circus/
>
> I'm not as sure as Perl Tricks that every criticism is invalid, but I am
> sure that most are invalid and trolling. I don't spend enough time in
> Python, etc., to Perl from an outsider, but I barely kept from yelling
> out "No, you don't expect that!" before I stopped.
>
> But, I would like to hear what others in the group think.

Yeah, dudes a troll.

I know someone that is working at mozilla and they pointed out to him
(he did submit a bug report) that the problem wasn't really a problem
and whatever problem he might have found was "fixed" in the current
version of bugzilla.

I'm not sure how arrays are more "secure" than hashes.

Dude's just making hay from his first talk, "Hey I got some attention
for ragging on Perl so I think I'll keep doing it."

Perl has it's problems but any piece of code that is over 20 years does.

However, it's always changing and fixing. It's not static by any stretch.

joe