[Purdue-pm] YAPC::NA 2015 videos

Mark Senn mark at purdue.edu
Mon Jun 15 06:48:24 PDT 2015

Purdue Perl Mongers Perl User Group,

The Yet Another Perl Conference::North America 2015 (held June 8--10,
2015 in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States) free videos of talks are
now available [1].

Perl was the first postmodern computer language [2].  Perl 6 is a _big_
improvement in my opinion.  The more I learn about Perl 6 [3] the much
better I like it over Perl 5 [4].  The Perl 6 language is more complete,
consistent, expressive, flexible, and modern.  I'm already using it for
some software I run.  It is not ready for prime time unless you are very
adventurous.  Perl 5 contains many more optional modules (around 160,000)
in the Comprehensive Perl Archive Directory [5] than Perl 6 (around 330
modules) has in the Perl 6 Modules list [6].

I suggest using Perl 6 for simple, small projects now so you get
experience with it---that way you'll be able to compare it in practice
with Perl 5 and decide which you'd like to use in the future.  Trying to
switch from Perl 5 to Perl 6 later may be too much of a transition to
make at one time easily/quickly and it would be too easy to stay
programming in Perl 5 even if you prefer Perl 6.  If you start now
you'll be able to build your knowledge of Perl 6 over time and
understand and appreciate the new expressive power of Perl 6.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/user/yapcna/videos
[2] http://wall.org/~larry/pm.html
[3] http://www.perl6.org
[4] http://www.perl.org
[5] http://www.cpan.org
[6] http://modules.perl6.org

Mark Senn, Systems Programmer, Engineering Computer Network, Purdue University