[Purdue-pm] Meeting Next Week

Mark Senn mark at ecn.purdue.edu
Tue Feb 12 18:40:11 PST 2013

  > We're a week off of next week's meeting, so, rather than showing up
  > empty handed, how about we decide on topics?
  >
  > Joe Kline mentioned discussing some of the top developments in the
  > Perl world, which are Moe and the Perl 7 kerfuffle. Others?

According to
http://blogs.perl.org/users/stevan_little/2013/02/what-is-moe-a-clarification.html

    Moe is a thought experiment to try and envision what Perl 5 might evolve
    into as a language and a runtime. It borrows much from Perl 6, but still
    aims to be true to its Perl 5 roots.

    And that is all that it is (for now).

In my opinion, talking about Moe at this point would be premature.

According to
http://perlbuzz.com/2013/02/everything-you-need-to-know-about-perl-version-numbers.html

    There has been much bandwidth burned up the past week talking about
    if Perl 5 should get renamed to Perl 7. Here are the only two things
    that matter:

    o  Perl 5 is not going to be renumbered to Perl 7, if for no other
    reason than because Perl 6 exists, and doing so would effectively
    say "Perl 6 does not matter."

    o  Perl 6 will not be renamed to anything else, no matter how much
    you might want it to be. Larry has spoken.

In my opinion, talking about the Perl 7 kerfuffle would be a waste of time.
There is no longer a kerfuffle.

Let's keep it real.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the problem Phillip talked
about many months ago.

-mark