[Purdue-pm] Programming Perl, 4th Ed: Should I?

MCNAMARA, KEN km1921 at att.com
Mon May 21 10:04:43 PDT 2012

A better choice might be 'Learning Perl 6th Ed' by Schwartz, d foy and Phoenix.

This book is better than a reference in the respect that it explores some background about why Perl works the way it does and some of the underlying philosophy that followed when writing it.  It also educates about common idioms that masters (such as Schwartz) take for granted that all Perl programmers understand.

The author says the book is 'It's just a tutorial.  It's not comprehensive." -- but the extensive footnotes give insights that other books miss.

KenMc