[Purdue-pm] state capital tour problem

Mark Senn mark at purdue.edu
Sun Feb 20 13:59:44 PST 2011

I decided I'm only going to do the state capitol tour problem in
Mathematica and only do distances as the crow flies.

Mathematica was able to read curated data off the web with little trouble.

The program claims the minimum distance needed to visit all state
capitals (starting at one and visiting the other 48 without visiting any
twice) is 10,648.5 miles and maximum distance is 70,587.1.

See
    https://engineering.purdue.edu/~mark/state.pdf
for the program, order to tour states, and graphics
for the tours (I haven't found state outlines
on the net that I'm happy with yet, after that's
done I'll combine the tour graphics with state outlines.
If you know of any high quality state outlines that
only show the state outlines and no features smaller
that the great lakes let me know.  I want a file format
that contains lots of detail and can be converted to
latitute and longitudes.)

-mark