[Purdue-pm] Monger Meeting Idea, or ...

David Jacoby jacoby at csociety.ecn.purdue.edu
Mon Jul 10 13:21:15 PDT 2006

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, derrick wrote:

> i do screen-scraping now in python and to see how others
> do it in perl might be useful. i dont do a lot of web
> development, but if there are other things you can do with
> AJAX besides moving boxes around on my website, i'd be
> interested in that. i'm not real familiar with what ajax
> does, just heard people use it in web development.

There's more (there's always more), but AJAX can actually be
replaced by one word: XMLHttpRequest. You've always been
able to do something like:
    document.getElementById('foo').innerHTML = foo ;
but the problem is getting a new foo once the page has
loaded. That's where AJAX gets cool.

> i should be learning about web services, i.e. having an application
> phone home to the mothership probably via SOAP, do some processing, and
> send the data back.

I'm only familiar with that in the buzzword sense right now,
but by the time I give my talk, who knows?

> my list with most interested at the top is:
> 1) web services and SOAP
> 2) AJAX or Stupid Agents (i haven't see this talk)
> 3) screen-scrapping stuff

The short form of that Stupid Agents talk would be "Perl.
LWP. HTML::Parse. XML::RSS. crontab. Questions?", or at
least would've been before AJAX. Now? I'm working one
something that'll begin to allow me to begin looking at
Smart Agents and thinking about Intelligent Agents.

But I don't want to give the talk here, do I?

Dave Jacoby    jacoby at csociety.org
        You never need a plumber until you need one badly