[Phoenix-pm] Presentation Slides

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Sat Nov 13 15:50:28 PST 2010

I finally got a chance to look these over. It sounds like a great presentation!

I can't tell if Erik explained that using 'perl -d' directly, without -e, puts you into STDIN input mode. Then you type perl commands and hit ^D (control-d) to tell perl "End Of Input" and it'll start interpreting what you gave it. I use this all the time to cut & paste in some use statements, maybe a line or two of boilerplate code, and then drop me into the debugger after that.

Cuz let's face it: editing in the debugger is not optimal. :-)

(Because it's interpreting STDIN this way, you can also use this to generate perl code somewhere else and then pipe that to 'perl -d'. The short form is like this: `cat tmp/blah.pl | perl -d` which is nearly identical to `perl -d tmp/blah.pl`, but you could use anything on the other end of the pipe.)

-- Mike
Mike Friedman | HighWire Press, Stanford Univ | friedman at highwire.stanford.edu