[Phoenix-pm] ???

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Mon Dec 21 11:55:15 PST 2009

Well, there are still active Perl Mongers groups out there, just not Phoenix PM so much. I moved away, unfortunately, but fortunately moved to the SF Bay Area where San Francisco PM is alive and well. Monthly meetings, invited speakers, an active mailing list, etc. From what I can tell they didn't used to be active, but someone stepped in and took the lead: finding a meeting space, doing some group marketing to bring in new people, and spending time and money to bring the group back to life.

All Phoenix PM needs is someone with some energy and free time (and in the area) to decide to bring it back to life. I can guarantee you that there are folks in the area who use perl and would like to talk about it -- you'll just have to find them.

In the meantime, though, the web and conferences are definitely the way to go.

A new place for programming help is Stack Overflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/319900/what-should-i-teach-a-beginning-perl-programmer

In the perl-specific world, PerlMonks is where most of the beginners go for help when they don't have local friends who know Perl. The site is a bit... complex, but with some effort it'll make sense.
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node=Tutorials

Welcome to the wonderful world of TIMTOWTDI!
-- Mike
Mike Friedman | HighWire Press, Stanford Univ | friedman at highwire.stanford.edu