[Phoenix-pm] Meeting today, wed june 6, 2007 @ 7:00pm Mill's End

Scott Walters scott at illogics.org
Wed Jun 6 15:51:15 PDT 2007

Heading down in a bit here...

Going to try to unload some of these books that were supposed to be given
away to raise money for Andy's visit, but people aren't returning my
emails, so I think that's a bust.  Damn.

As far as (Doug's query) whether I'm Eternal Dictator for Life, fraid not.
I'm in limbo here too.

Here's the picture, as I see it.

We get a lot of first time visitors who never return.  Perhaps they
think that something wonderful (other than Perl knowhow) will be
imparted on them during the meeting that will radically advance their
career (without having to sharpen their Perl skills).  Sometimes
they come out for the presentations, but the presentations have to
be pretty damn good to build up a following, and that's hard to
sustain.

There are a few semi-regulars who make about as many meetings as I do
and have presented once or twice.  It's good seeing them.

Other groups in the valley related to Web tech or programming draw a lot
more people, a lot more and more serious speakers, are better places
for making connections, and better have their fingers on the pulse of
emerging technologies.

We should all stop being such a specialized spliter group and start
going to REFRESH Phoenix, the Ruby User's Group, PLUG, and whatever
else.  When people are far more interested in tech, applications of
tech, their careers and career prospects, and making connections
with other programmers, it's irrelavent whether the meeting has a
Perl theme or not.

I suggest, however, keeping the mailing list.  That's about the
degree that area Perl developers really need to keep in touch with
each other.  And that might push us to move to a more virtual
existance, fixing up the Website, getting blog aggregation going,
and maybe some maps, or a database of employers -- the sorts of
things people might actually use.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
-scott