[Phoenix-pm] meeting tonight!

Brock awwaiid at thelackthereof.org
Fri Mar 17 23:25:17 PST 2006

Meredith, the author of that journal, presented at the two CodeCon's I
attended (2005 and 2006).

In 2005 she worked for a company who has a nice protein search database
-- you enter some fragments of DNA and it will find all the proteins
that match it. She did a lot of the programming for it, but even better
was her presentation -- she extracted and separated DNA out of a culture
sample using common household chemicals right there on the stage!

In February 2006 she presented again, this time talking about what I
believe was a Google Summer-of-Code project. She wrote a patch for the
postgresql database which allows Query-By-Example in a very efficient
way (using a Support Vector Machine directly in the query engine). This
effectively lets you say "give me all the rows which are similar to row
5,6, and 7, but not like row 10,15, or 30. Meaning you don't have to
specify which columns are significant or what is the significance of those
columns.

  * http://www.codecon.org/2006/program.html#qbe
  * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Support_vector_machine

Geeks all around me were muttering about how they wanted to marry her,
but then right after her presentation Len (one of the founders of
CodeCon) proposed to her on the stage and she accepted.

So there you go.

--Brock