[Phoenix-pm] meeting tonight!

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Fri Mar 17 06:47:19 PST 2006

Sounds cool, Bobby. I wish I could make that meeting.

FWIW, my office tried to use Compress::Zlib and had too many problems
with it to continue. We put in a hack to do what you're probably
doing, call gzip & compress as a system call, and, well, "It works,
so don't fix it!" :-) Our error handling is less than robust, though,
so I'm looking forward to your code example.

-- Mike

On Mar 16, 2006, at 11:09 PM, Metz, Bobby W, WCS wrote:

> 	I'll throw my hat in the ring officially for a 10 minute
> "Reading/Writing ZIP Files on CPAN Challenged Unix Servers".  Hate I
> ended up missing tonight...wanted to hear about the search engine
> stuff,
> but as happens too frequently I get tied up at work and can't cut
> loose
> in time, so I'm really a lurker I guess ( one Nello's meeting doesn't
> quite count ).
> 	Anyway, 10 minutes should be good.  Like all "good" Perl, the
> code is too short to spend more time than that on it and really
> doesn't
> need "presenting" per se, so I'll probably just hand out a two page
> printout for discussion and forward code later...you know after
> everyone
> signs a non-disclosure...more jokes on that later :)
> 	That said, it would be interesting to hear others thoughts on
> the routine and hear of your experiences with it's CPAN counterparts
> such as Compess::Zlib, IO::Gzip & IO::Gunzip.  Now, I just have to
> make
> sure and make it Scott friendly [ jk Scott ;-) ] by removing all the &
> calls in the example program.  Unfortunately, I don't think I can
> remove
> the typeglobs and it still work since that's part of the magic.  But,
> I'm open to suggestions from Brock, Scott, Anthony or whoever else can
> think of a better way to do it and retain it's symplicity.  As a
> former
> colleague of mine was found of saying, it's a "ghetto script".  Get
> the
> job done quick and don't worry about perfection.
>
> So, anyone interested?
>
> Bobby

Michael Friedman                     HighWire Press
Phone: 650-725-1974                  Stanford University
FAX:   270-721-8034                  <friedman at highwire.stanford.edu>