[Phoenix-pm] Looking for ideas - Perl Telnet Monitor

Andrew Johnson aj at exiledplanet.org
Thu Jun 30 00:15:25 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 23:09 -0700, Victor Odhner wrote:
> Metz, Bobby W, WCS wrote:
>
> >During the session I want to spawn other tools ...
> >
> I think you are stuck with having your client process every
> byte of input that passes through. I've done that sort of thing
> but always at the remote end, i.e., using "system" calls to the
> system that my agent was running on. Doing it on the remote
> host system is what IPC::Open2 seems to be about, but I gather
> you want to run your client program on a local PC, and have it
> participate in a dialog with a remotely-connected host.

Actually, IPC::Open2 (and Open3) are about running a command on the
local host and communicating bidirectionally with it via its STDIN and
STDOUT (and in the case of Open3, STDERR).  That sounded similar to what
the original poster wanted to do.  However, I have never tried to use
IPC::Open* with telnet, so whether it can be used or not is an exercise
left for the user.

--aj