[Phoenix-pm] Good work, Michael!

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Thu Jun 16 13:56:47 PDT 2005

Thanks Scott! More importantly, we got slashdotted and stayed up. Yay!
That's why we've got a whole Sun E450 dedicated to our homepage. :-)

Seriously, though, if you are at all interested in metadata searching,
take a look at the Gale group review. It makes a lot of good points.
For some things Google will be better, for others HighWire Press and
other focused "portals". The reason it says we are "whooping" Google is
that we work better for the way most serious academics look for
articles -- using title, author, journal name, and other metadata.

	http://www.galegroup.com/free_resources/reference/peter/current.htm

The silliest part about this is the idea that we're in competition with
Google. We work with them constantly, nearly daily, on a variety of
projects. They index all of our fulltext, which forms a large part of
the base dataset for Google Scholar and they are working on scanning
back issues of lots of our journals for us, since they've got the
manpower and are willing to *donate* it (HWP, as part of Stanford
University, is non-profit). They aren't trying to put anyone out of
business, especially us, because HWP is not in the searching business
-- we are in the web publishing business, as are most of their
"competition" in this realm. We put up our "portal" searching site
because we want to make all this research available to the world, not
because it'd make money.

Anyway, if anyone wants more info on HighWire Press, who we are, what
we do, or how we work, just let me know. We've been hiring, but only if
you already live in the Palo Alto, CA area. (Sorry, "non-profit" means
"no paid moving expenses".)

-- Mike