[Phoenix-pm] Perl Best Practices

andypm@exiledplanet.org andypm at exiledplanet.org
Wed Jul 13 16:09:00 PDT 2005

O'Reilly is about to publish a new book by Damian Conway, _Perl Best Practices_.  There is a sample chapter available on O'Reilly's site:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlbp/

I've read most of the sample chapter (which addresses subroutines) and I thought it was an excellent style guide for making Perl code clearer and more useful.  If the rest of the book is like the sample chapter, it could be an excellent resource for programmers writing complex apps in Perl, especially those that haven't written complex Perl before.

I'm interested in what others think of this book and the new push by some to define more "standard approaches" to Perl.  Given Perl's reputation in some circles as "line noise," I think this effort could make Perl more accessible, and thus more valuable, to more people.  What does everyone else think?

--aj