[Phoenix-pm] Chip Salzenberg raided

Scott Walters scott at illogics.org
Fri Jul 1 22:38:52 PDT 2005

Yikes. (For those of you who don't read Slashdot...) Chip went to squeal on
his employer, who was harvesting data using comprimised machines and open
proxies, and they called the cops, accused him of misapproprating trade
secrets (apparently crimes are now protectable as trade secrets), and they
came to his house that very afternoon and took all of his stuff. In an
ironic twist, his former employer got images of all of his hard drives,
thus misappropriating *his* intellectual property.

Slashdot: Chip Salzenberg writes "In April of this year, Health Market Science of King of Prussia, PA, told police that they feared I was misappropriating trade secrets. That very afternoon, police raided my house with a search warrant to seize every computer in the house, paper files, CDs, and DVDs... even my wireless router and cable modem!" Chip was the pumpking for perl's 5.004 release. Keep reading for his description of his current legal troubles, and for a shortcut into what he says prompted his former company's actions, read his letter warning about abuse of open proxies."

http://geeksunite.net/ (Chip's site, soliciting donations for the legal fund)