[Phoenix-pm] Job Opportunity [Fwd: Google & Perl Mongers]

Douglas E. Miles perlguy at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 26 16:58:10 PDT 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Hello Doug…

My name is Jeff Polo.  I’m a technical recruiter for Google, and I found
your contact info on the Perl Mongers web site.  Google is currently
seeking several Unix/Linux experts with strong Perl skills for a couple
of positions in Dublin, Ireland or Mountain View, California.  I was
wondering if it would be possible for you to post this information or
let your members know about this opportunity. If so, I’ve pasted the 2
job descriptions below.

If it’s not possible, I understand.  I don’t mean invade your technical
list with a job posting, but this is such a great opportunity, and
Google is seeking the very best Engineers from around the world and I
feel there must be dozens of Perl experts out there with the expertise
to have an interest in exploring these opportunities.  Might you be
interested?   I’m hoping I can find some of them on your list via my
posting. I will respond to all that apply to my email address.   Thank
you for your consideration and time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Jeff Polo

Google Staffing

Office: 650-623-4767

Cell: 408-893-4907

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

*Senior Software Engineer/Unix System & Network Administrator,
Google.com (SRE)*

*Positions based in Mountain View, CA and in our European Operations HQ
in Dublin, Ireland.*

Are you part ace coder, part adrenalin junkie? Do you have a knack for
seeing a problem and immediately discerning the likely solution? Maybe
you've been coding for years, are bored with the old
design-build-review-test-ship-repeat routine, and yearn for some
faster-paced challenges? Or perhaps you're a seasoned software engineer
who is also a genius at jockeying networks and administering UNIX clusters.

We're looking for top-notch thrill seeking, software engineers to join
the Google.com team. Google.com engineers are in the thick of everything
involved with keeping Google running, from code-level troubleshooting of
traffic anomalies to maintenance of our most cutting edge services; from
monitoring and alerts to building new automation infrastructure. We are
aggressively building this elite team of high level engineers in this
mission critical environment. All team members must have strong
analytical and troubleshooting skills, fluency in coding, good
communication skills, and most of all enthusiasm for tackling the
complex problems of scale which are uniquely Google. Google.com
engineers tackle challenging, novel situations every day, and work with
just about every other engineering and operations team in the process.

/Qualifications:/

     * Strong programming/scripting skills in any of the following: C,
       C++, Java, Perl, Python.
     * Senior Level experience with Unix system administration.
     * Strong understanding of networking; understanding of how to
       isolate, diagnose, and resolve service delivery components
       (service delivery components include servers, networks, and
       applications); be familiar with the functionality, operating, and
       failure modes of key networking devices (routers, switches,
       bridges, firewalls, hardware load balancers); be able to identify
       networking as the potential cause of a service issue using
       server-resident tools to generate this data (tcpdump, ping,
       traceroute, etc.); familiarity in interpreting the output of these
       tools; familiarity with common network topologies, protocols, and
       tools; have some notion of common network security exploits -- and
       their remedies; understanding of troubleshooting at the packet level.
     * Strong project management skills, especially in deploying live
       end-user systems.
     * In-depth knowledge of Unix (preferably Linux), and shell scripting.
     * Proven technical troubleshooting experience.
     * Excellent analytic ability, strong communication skills, and a
       strong sense of urgency.
     * Ability to handle periodic on-call duty as well as out-of-band
       requests.
     * 6-15+ years experience for Senior SWE position, or 3-8 years
       experience for SWE position.
     * BA/BS in CS, or equivalent experience.

For immediate consideration, please send a text (ASCII) or HTML version
of your resume _jpolo at google.com_. *Important:* The subject field of
your email must include *Senior Software Engineer/Unix System & Network
Administrator, Google.com (SRE) - Mountain View* or *Senior Software
Engineer/Unix System & Network Administrator, Google.com (SRE) - EU
Headquarters*

*Senior Systems Administrator/Architect, Google.com (SRE)*

*Position based in Mountain View, CA.*

     * Are you a detail-oriented systems professional, seasoned Unix
       jockey, Internet services architect, database whiz, performance
       analyst, or software engineer, at the top of your game?
     * Looking for the next cool problem to solve, in a fast-paced and
       engineering-driven environment?
     * Can you write a script or application that performs practically
       the entire job you once held earlier in your career?
     * Does your idea of a good time involve taking things apart just to
       see how they work? Are you successful putting them back together
       when you're done?
     * Can you help achieve increased Availability, Reliability, Uptime,
       and Quality? (for our systems and services, naturally)

If you answered "Yes" to more than three of the above questions, you may
have what it takes. Keep reading.

Google.com Engineers are involved in all aspects of running our site.
  From design to debug, from architecture to applications, Google.com
engineers spend their time troubleshooting problems in large-scale
clustered application service environments, and focus on making
continual improvements to our services.

Working for Google.com, you will wear many hats: performance analyst,
service architect, system/database administrator, capacity planner,
tools developer, monitoring expert, and technical evangelist, for all
components of Google.com’s services.

This position requires a passion for problem solving, deep understanding
of networks, operating systems, multi-tiered Internet services, and the
ability to learn new applications and concepts quickly. Strong scripting
skills are essential.

/Requirements:/

     * 3+ years experience in Unix or Linux Systems Administrator.
     * Experience in a high-volume or critical production service
       environment.
     * Strong understanding of networking; understanding of how to
       isolate, diagnose, and resolve service delivery components
       (service delivery components include servers, networks, and
       applications); be familiar with the functionality, operating, and
       failure modes of key networking devices (routers, switches,
       bridges, firewalls, hardware load balancers); be able to identify
       networking as the potential cause of a service issue using
       server-resident tools to generate this data (tcpdump, ping,
       traceroute, etc.); familiarity in interpreting the output of these
       tools; familiarity with common network topologies, protocols, and
       tools; have some notion of common network security exploits -- and
       their remedies; understanding of troubleshooting at the packet level.
     * Skilled in leading projects, especially in deploying live end-user
       systems.
     * Proven technical troubleshooting experience.
     * Database administration experience a plus.
     * Programming or debugging of web applications running under Java VM.
     * In-depth knowledge of Linux, networking, and shell scripting.
     * Knowledge of Python programming a plus.
     * Experience with MySQL a plus.
     * Programming and troubleshooting skills in C/C++ and/or Java a plus.
     * Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
     * Ability to handle periodic on-call duty as well as out-of-band
       requests.
     * BA/BS in Computer Science or a related technical discipline.

For immediate consideration, please send a text (ASCII) or HTML version
of your resume to _jpolo at google.com <mailto:jpolo at google.com>_.
*Important:* The subject field of your email must include *Senior
Systems Administrator/Architect, Google.com (SRE) - Mountain View*.