[Phoenix-pm] UI Builder in Perl

Chris Krum cakrum at cox.net
Sun Jun 20 21:04:58 CDT 2004

Funny, I've been lurking on this list for some time now and I've never
seen you show any propensity for argumentation. ;-) You always seem so
quiet and reserved.

But seriously. What do you mean by "improving the Perl integration"?
Are you referring to the integration of Perl and Wx or the ability of
wxGlade to generate Perl code?

I guess the thing I have against tools written in one language
generating code in another is that something is always lost in
translation. Like the saying goes "Nothing does perl like perl." Take
the new perl plug-in for Eclipse. Great idea, but I would imagine that
there is a lot of perl syntax that a Java framework won't be able to
deal with. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that anyone using Eclipse to
write perl code will need to avoid most of the more interesting
syntactic sugar because Java won't know what to do with it.

And that brings me to another of your points. The idea of "glue in
other languages" to allow them to use perl code sounds good, but I
don't think anything short of embedding a full perl interpreter is
going to work. I don't imagine that's what you had in mind. Are you
aware of any languages that have actually embedded perl? I seem to
remember that M$ promised that the CRL would allow you to run any
language but that when someone tried to create an interpreter for perl
they had trouble with the fact that it was dynamically typed.

No rant intended. Just juxtaposing myself. (And man did it hurt!)

Anyway, all I'm really looking for is a perl project to help me keep my
experience up. I almost never get to write in perl anymore.

Well, thanks for listening.
Chris.