Phoenix.pm: Perl 6 Apocalypse 12

Andrew Johnson aj at exiledplanet.org
Thu Apr 29 14:43:11 CDT 2004

It's been a couple of weeks since Larry Wall releaed Perl 6 Apocalypse
12, in which he explains the Perl 6 object model.  It's rather long
(supposedly 80 printed pages).  Given our recent discussion on Perl 6
syntax, I wondered if anyone in the group had any thoughts on the new
Apocalypse?

Since I brought up the subject, I can start the discussion:

Likes:
*I really like the basic syntax choices.  You declare a class by using
'class', and methods by using 'method'.  They're still packages and subs
underneath, but Perl 6 takes care of that for you.

*There is a default constructor, so you don't have to declare new()
methods in every class structure you create.

*The annoyance of  '$self=shift' in every method is gone; $.attrname
will automatically mean the 'attrname' value of the current object.

Dislikes:
*Secondary Sigils.  Yuck.  Class methods especially seem complicated
with them.

* I think the syntax:
    my Dog $spot .= new(...)
looks _awful_.  Of course, one does not have to use that syntax, but
stuff like that is going to trip up Java/C/Perl 5 programmers, IMHO.

Confusion:
*I'm still a bit unclear about how traits, properties, and roles work.
Traits sort of look a bit like Java interfaces, but not exactly.
Somebody apparently likes them enough to port them to Perl 5 though:
http://search.cpan.org/~stevan/Class-Trait-0.03/

Remember, this is all my US$0.02.  Comments?  Questions?  Explanations?