Phoenix.pm: Curmudgeons [Was Re: SNOBOL]

Tim Ayers tayers at quaday.com
Fri Apr 23 14:33:38 CDT 2004

Scott Walters wrote:
 > So I often feel old but I feel a little less old when
> someone else out-olds me ;)

Ooo. I love this game. :-)

My first computer, a Radio Shack "Color Computer," had 20K of RAM.
Upgrades I made to it over the next couple years, in order, were
cassette tape storage, a 300 baud modem and then 8K more of RAM. Man,
was I set up then. ;-) This was 1981-1984 or so.

What a blast I had with that computer, teaching myself to program in
BASIC. This computer was very good at graphics for the time. I wrote so
many dorky little programs: 3D cube rotations, rotations of 2 variable
equations around the Z axis, a slot machine simulation, pong-style
games, and lots of graphs for trig, calculus and differential equations.
It was sure nice to check your homework with a little home made program
that could plot out a detailed isocline field in a minute or so.

Hope you have a very nice day, :-)
tim, who's waiting for Bill's dad's stories of punch cards and paper
tapes. I remember going to my father's office as a child and playing on
the punch card machines for their IBM mainframe the size of a
refrigerator with 4K of RAM that was leased for $1,000 a month. This was
in 1970 before the big time inflation!