Phoenix.pm: Perl Mongers, Fuzzy Logic

Scott Walters scott at illogics.org
Thu May 1 03:14:35 CDT 2003

Okey, I tend to bite off more than I can chew, but here it is:

I've had good response in the past on doing a Fuzzy Logic presentation,
so I'd like to do something in three parts:

. Theory of Fuzzy Logic and how my interface implements it - applications
  for Fuzzy Logic, comparison to statistical methods and to neural networks.
  Fuzzy sets, fuzzy operations, data units in fuzzy systems.
  Classification and pattern recognition using systems of fuzzy logic.
  How Fuzzy Logic deals with the learning problem, its advantages and
  disadvantages to back-propogation and genetic programming.

. Design of my (yet to be released) Fuzzy Logic module.
  Use of permutators and discriminators to find near-optimal solutions.
  Example Fuzzy Sets using "recently", "good health", and "shooting range"
  as examples of time, distance, and amount.
  Specifications for lacking modeling environment.

. Walk-through of example program to control an imaginary robot.
  Contest - Games::AI::Bots battle on the LCD projector between
  modified versions of the sample program or else completely different
  solutions.

I'm aiming to record presentations on VHS-C and compress them up as MPEGs and
post them on slowass.net, so people only attending part 2 or part 3 aren't
excluded. I haven't quite gotten the sound to work as the capture device
I have access to uses the computers audio in, and the mic jacks on the
machines around here don't seem to want to work. Perhaps I'll subtitle
them ;)

Games::AI::Bots was Doug's idea for a contest. I've kind of co-opted it.
With luck, it can serve to illustrate other ideas in the future as well.

There is no meeting this Thursday I guess, but I'll plan on kicking
things off in two weeks.

Thoughts?