Phoenix.pm: PRIMA - Take 2

Robert Lindley bob at brogmoid.com
Sun Jul 20 11:17:19 CDT 2003

Adventures in PRIMA land.

Downloaded the PRIMA that matched my PERL (ActiveState build 806)
and installed it. (I have Windoze 98. at home and NT4 at work)

Used file: Prima-1.11-MSWin32-ActivePerl-806.zip

Got a warning message in the install log (with both NT & 98) that
C:/PERL\BIN was not in my path. It turns out that that message was
bogus. My path actually starts with C:\PERL\BIN. So, not a problem.

Also, in the install log it said to type VB to run the Visual Builder.
That would work on *nix, but not yukky ole MS-DOS. So made up a VB.BAT
file containing the line "PERL C:\PERL\BIN\VB" and put it in
C:\PERL\BIN.  Now just type VB and it runs.

I have 1280x1024 and the GUI looks great! They claim it is all written
in PERL except for some platform support stuff.

I expected it to work (somewhat) like M$ Visual Basic. Looked everywhere
for the place to put the code for the events. Well, it was right there
in the Object Inspector window. There is a button there labeled Events.
That's it! (I couldn't find the code window because it didn't exist.)
When you click on Events the displayed Properties go away and all of the
possible Events for the item selected appear. In the left pane are the
events and in the right pane the code for the selected event appears.
Unlike Visual Basic, Every event has visible default code. This is a
nice touch because you can actually find and inspect all default event
actions. Like Visual basic, the things that have been changed from the
default value are in a darker font. What you put in the right window
pane is actual PERL code. Now I have to learn the PERL jargon that fits
this application. Should be easy. (RIGHT!)

Hope that will help get you going.

Bob Lindley