Phoenix.pm: Meeting last night

Desert Hawk brooksj at wildhorse.com
Mon Mar 18 20:32:35 CST 2002

Yeah, I can confirm that they need the help because about 90% of their
tech staff from SF isn't relocating here, and they still went and laid
off a buncha people from the facility here, myself included (a Unix
admin with over 15 years experience who came out here a year ago to take
a DHL job only to get punted less than a year in).

The hint I told a headhunter friend of mine here was that unless the
person was strong HP first and anything else second, don't bother...
a Sun/open source person is not going to fit in anymore.  There was
horrendously bad timing and bad judgement in all aspects of my going
to work there.  Let's just say that the manager who pushed to hire me
was no longer a manager 6 months after I got there, which really added
some spice to my situation...

It's a long ugly story, and I'm just glad I was able to find something
else before the end date they assigned me.

Sad part is some of the people there are good people, but because of
other situations which I'm not going to go into here, I'm willing to bet
that once an upturn in the economy translates to a few more job openings
in the Valley, most of the incumbent admins will run for the hills,
leaving the new ones to founder with trying to figure it all out.

My new job actually allows me a little bit more breathing room, so I may
actually get to show up to meetings again.  DHL details could be provided
upon personal request  ;)

jo