Phoenix.pm: Meeting 07/18/2002

Scott Walters phaedrus at illogics.org
Mon Jul 15 16:36:32 CDT 2002

OO has been a bit like religion.. while it preaches peace, more people
have been killed in its name.

Not to discourage anyone from attending, but I put a lot of what I
did up on http://www.slowass.net/wiki/?PerlDesignPatterns.
The slideshow I'm saving for PM is a lot more fun though =)

I'm struggling with how to make the material interesting and
applicable. I had 0 interest in the topic until after being forced
to look at other peoples bad OO code one too many times, and I
started to wonder if maybe I was doing really annoying obnoxious things
that I didn't realize (in addition to the annoying obnoxious things
I realized I was doing). If Design Patterns were fun and accessable,
people may willingly apply the ideas to their code.

I think the major part of the success of the original Design Patterns
book was that it gave a common language to program structure.
While not interested in high ideals and contrived examples, many
programmers enjoyed expanding their vocabulary.

I really really want feedback and ideas to that effect, more than
anything else. Possibly the coolist thing I could do is something
in the vein of "Devils Dictionary". If I can get things polished
a bit, I want to turn it loose on the Perl community.

Thanks for the encouraging words =)

-scott