Phoenix.pm: How about..? Re: Fundraising

Lowell Hamilton syz at broken-bit.com
Fri Jul 5 19:52:37 CDT 2002

Handy enough, I used to be a big chunk of ALL and lanbash.com and have
been a big part of a ton of events ;>  Sadly, it's never profitable.  If
you charge more than $20, you will have a MUCH  lower attendance because
broke college/high-school students can't come.  If you charge less, you
can't afford the power generator, nework cabling/equipment, and venue
costs unless you get a big ($3000 or more) sponsor.  Of the 4 events
over 100 people that lanbash put on, only one made money, and only
because of a $1000 sponsorship from Inflow, and the profit was still
only enough to buy the 4 of us dinner at Outback the next day.  The rest
all ended up costing us about $200-$500 out of pocket (with 100% donated
networking equipment, pre-existing cables from the last event, and free
huge servers to host games on).  If you can get a free venue and a darn
good deal on a generator (we had contacts inside Empire), and still get
free net gear, it's possible to make money, but still not very much.

Lowell