Phoenix.pm: Perl Debugger

Shay Harding sharding at ccbill.com
Thu Jan 17 19:22:37 CST 2002

On Thursday 17 January 2002 05:06 pm, you wrote:
> Frooninckx Craig - cfroon wrote:
> > I've coded myself into a corner and now have to give into accepting the
> > fact that I need a debugger to work myself out of the corner.  I feel
> > great frustration with the perl debugger, getting around a very complex
> > set of object oriented packages, is there another option??  Does another
> > debugger exist that (forgive me for even thinking this...) has a GUI so I
> > don't have to learn new commands in a jam?
>
> I use three different "GUI" debuggers. The first is the Perl TK
> Debugger. You need to have Tk installed, but I use this the most. It's
> free and available on CPAN.
>
> The 2ed is Komodo from ActiveState. I use this in the Perl class I teach
> at Chandler-Gilbert CC. It's slooowww and cost real money unless you are
> not using it to do for profit development.
>
> The last is a system I developed that I call VIGOR. It uses the VIM
> editor (thus you can develop with VIM and VIGOR :-) I hope to present a
> paper at OSCON this year on this system.
>
> I hope that this is of some help!

Ooo, can I have the vim one? :) I use VIM exclusively for all my coding...
Perl, C, C++, whatever. I just make maps to run perl and gcc so I never have
to leave the editor.

Any of these debuggers work with Perl XS code? Maybe help track down memory
leaks and such? I just finished an alpha version of Crypt::OpenSSL::BIO but I
think there's a few things not quite right. Anyone have any experience with
XS that can provide some insight to a problem I'm having? Heck anyone have
some experience with openssl since some of their functions don't seem to work
(did find two bugs in their header files so maybe it isn't me? :))

Shay