Phoenix.pm: Anyone doing Perl/XML?

Scott Walters phaedrus at contactdesigns.com
Fri Mar 9 15:04:05 CST 2001

Doug,

Planning on writting a minimal XML writter and perhaps a reader that somehow (don't ask me how)
maps the data to a good relational database (ie, first 4 normals).

I haven't put too much thought into it yet (except figuring out how im going to get out of
having to do it which has so far been unsuccessful), except that I can assume the tables
will follow the tree structure of the data like this, for example: the first 3 layers of
depth will go to one table; the next 5 (lets say) layers of depth will go to another table,
that the first table relates to; the next 2 layers of depth (for example) will go to a third
table, that relates to the second table. As given attributes at a given depth change,
relational keys change.

This is an extention of a technique of report generation I use elsewhere, where as different
rows in the output of a query change, data is aggreated (ie, new column or row in a chart),
new headers are inserted, etc, etc. This has proved a great way to abstract the details of
reporting on data from arbitrary queries.

What I'm interested to know is:

0) has this been done already, or tried and prove impractical?
a) is anyone else interested in this?
I) does anyone know any good sauces that go with blueberry pasta? i seem to have blueberry pasta...
x) does the event driven model and datastructure driven models of most XML parsers seem to be
   the wrong approach to anyone else?

>           sysread HANDLE,my $slurp,-s HANDLE;
Rob, have you benchmarked my $slurp = `cat $fn` ? i wanna know =) And how do DSPs differ
from traditional processors? What makes a DSP a DSP? I'm curious =)

Thanks again, Doug, for hosting another worship session for us miscreants =)

cheers!

-scott