Phoenix.pm: Meeting 12/20/2001

Scott Walters phaedrus at illogics.org
Tue Dec 18 01:32:10 CST 2001

"Computer programmer unemployment officially 7.8%"

qq{
Yep, things are mighty bad. 12 months ago it was 1.7% unemployment. But is this figure accurate? Are people (now unemployed) who learned some ASP programming to cash in on the gold rush considered "computer programmers" for the purposes of these figures?

Just as a point of clarifty, the unemployment rate for people who didn't graduate high school- always the highest by education- is 8.1%(!)  Without doubt, no other "skilled" trade/profession has an unemployment rate even CLOSE to 7.8% right now. In constrast, the unemployment rate for college graduates is just 3.1%---- yet don't all of us know lots of people who have degrees and are jobless?

Reference for statistics:
http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20011213S0024
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t03.htm
};