Phoenix.pm: help!

Phil Hartfield chaosppp at corp.earthlink.net
Fri Jun 9 16:09:31 CDT 2000

Ammon Cooke wrote:

> I'm new to this group, & relatively new to programing, would you please be
> more clear?
>
> ><1) man rcs/cvs/...>
> What does this mean?

co -l file; vi file ; echo $your_reason_for_change | ci -u file

or

cvs co file; vi file ; cvs commit

> >2) use version control religously
> I have been careful to do this.

Thats >1) above

> >3) diff my-broken-script.cgi my-virgin-source.cgi
>
> diff?

man diff

NAME
       diff - find differences between two files

SYNOPSIS
       diff [options] from-file to-file

DESCRIPTION
       In  the  simplest  case, diff compares the contents of the
       two files from-file and to-file.  A file name of -  stands
       for text read from the standard input.  As a special case,
       diff - - compares a copy of standard input to itself.

> >4) perl -cw my-broken-script.cgi
> -cw?

from man perl:

       -c   causes Perl to check the syntax of the script and
            then exit without executing it.  Actually, it will
            execute BEGIN, END, and use blocks, because these are
            considered as occurring outside the execution of your
            program.

Very important to do perl -c perl.file before sticking something in
production.  You do that about once...   (the 2-3 hour cleanup is a lesson in
and of itself)

       -w   prints warnings about variable names that are
            mentioned only once, and scalar variables that are
            used before being set.  Also warns about redefined
            subroutines, and references to undefined filehandles
            or filehandles opened read-only that you are
            attempting to write on.  Also warns you if you use
            values as a number that doesn't look like numbers,
            using an array as though it were a scalar, if your
            subroutines recurse more than 100 deep, and
            innumerable other things.

I prefer to use #!/usr/bin/perl -w   for the -w part :)

Phil