Phoenix.pm: Is anyone out there?

Mark Pease Mark.Pease at motorola.com
Fri Oct 29 17:04:21 CDT 1999

"Douglas E. Miles" wrote:

> Just checking the list.  Reply if you feel like it.  I just want to make
> sure we're operational again.
>
> --
> For a list of the ways which technology has failed
> to improve our quality of life, press 3.

Works for me!

Just so this is not a completely empty message, here is something that
I put together several years ago. Enjoy!

            12 Steps to Programming Freedom

1.  We admitted we were powerless over programming - that our
    lives had become unmanageable.
2.  Came to believe that a Language greater than AWK/SED/Shell
    could restore us to sanity.
3.  Made a decision to turn our programming efforts over to the
    care of Perl as we understood It.
4.  Made a searching and fearless inventory of our programming
    practices.
5.  Admitted to Larry, to ourselves, and to another programmers
    the exact nature of out wrongs.
6.  Were entirely ready to have Perl remove all these defects of
    programming practice.
7.  Humbly start programming in Perl to remove our shortcomings.
8.  Made a list of all programs we had harmed, and became willing
    to make amends to them all.
9.  Made a direct amends to such programs, by rewriting in Perl,
wherever
    possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. Continued to take personal inventory of programming practices and
    when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through object-oriented programming to improve our conscious
    contact with Perl as we understood It, studying the Camel for
    knowledge of Perl's syntax  and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had an awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to
    carry this message to other programmers and to practice these
    principles in all our programs.

Mark Pease                                   Mark.Pease at mototorola.com
Motorola DigitalDNA(tm) Laboratories             perl at perl.sps.mot.com
2100 E. Elliot Rd.     Phone:(602)413-8191       Mail Stop: AZ34 EL701
Tempe, AZ 85284        Pager:(800)381-3304           FAX:(602)413-8183
   Co-Author (with Carl Dichter) of "Software Engineering with Perl"