Phoenix.pm: script archive

David Sinck sinck at ip100.corp.quepasa.com
Tue Oct 19 14:33:49 CDT 1999

\_ Hi,
\_ David I was reading the Perl Cookbook and they have some flocking stuff :)
\_ Is there some snippet you would recommend...on a Linux platform (or is that
\_ bleh also)?

I bleh'd aix because in the release I had access to there was a kernel
level bug that had been incompletely patched that prevented flock()
from working.

If there's an example in the cookbook, that's probably better than any
half baked example I could come up with.

The important part is to figure out when you need flocking and to make
it as tight as possible when you're in exclusive mode, and use read
mode everywhere else on the file(s) in question.

If one of (the parts of) the programming isn't playing with flocking,
then the whole thing is moot.  Flocking is by agreement, not by
shotgun.  :-)

David