Phoenix.pm: Job Opportunity

Dave Warner davewarner98 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 15 08:10:53 CST 1999

--- Shay Harding <mekla at geocities.com> wrote:
> > Actually, I was focusing on the "commercial apps"
> > portion mostly.  I'm seeing that as a
> "shrink-wrapped"
> > product, or one that is not just for internal use,
> but
> > contributes directly to the company's bottom line.
>
> > That in itself will significantly increase the
> > programmer's value to the company, and thus
> his/her
> > salary range.  If, by commercial, you mean apps
> that
> > are meant for internal use, then the price tag
> would
> > be closer to 80-100K, given the Java experience.
>
> In my opinion most people think of applications as
> something you buy in a
> store, but there are many web-based applications out
> there that companies
> produce for use by end users. Only difference is
> these applications serve a
> particular purpose that is related to the company
> producing them.
>
> The company I work for does online checks/credit
> card processing for Internet
> merchants. We interface with VISA/AMEX/MC/Discover
> and ACH so the webmasters do
> not have to worry about such things. We have
> web-based administrative
> applications that give these webmasters real-time
> stats on things like sales,
> chargeback rate, refunds, failed billings, etc. A
> good deal of it is
> customizable to their particular needs.
>
> So is all that an application? In my opinion it is
> since all an application is
> is a bunch of libraries, dll files, whatever and
> some form of user interface to
> perform some function(s). It is all run internally,
> but used by numerous people
> not within the company. And it does affect the
> company's bottom line since if
> it is not functioning up to par, these clients will
> go elsewhere to process
> their transactions and we lose money.
>

> > I've been fortunate to work as a professional for
> > close to 18 years (CP/M, DbaseII at the start), in
> > Unix since 1984. My salary is actually derived
> from
> > the Washington DC area, where salaries are about
> 30%
> > higher than here.  I also serve as the backup DBA
> for
> > the company, intranet webmaster (Apache and MIIS),
> and
> > program in Perl, Powerbuilder, C, and Transact-SQL
> > (Sybase and MS SQLServer).
> >
> >                   Dave Warner
>

> Judging by your job description, it seems to me the
> term 'programmer' covers a
> wide array of functions. I wonder if there is anyone
> out there that is deemed a
> programmer where all they do for their company is
> write programs?
>

> Shay

One of the great things about this group is that it
causes me to question some of my basic assumptions
about the nature of this business.  Thanks, Shay, for
giving me a much better working definition of a
commercial app!

               Dave

=====
Microsoft's technical skills in developing innovative and robust software do not strike fear into the hearts of anyone except its customers.
     --Eric Bender