Phoenix.pm: holy buckets, batman!

Douglas E. Miles doug.miles at ns2.phoenix.bowne.com
Mon Dec 20 10:45:07 CST 1999

Beaves at aol.com wrote:

> Thanks, Doug for pointing me in the 'Storable.pm' direction and to finally
> use the Active State ppm for installing my modules.  (That is pretty neat
> stuff!!)
>
> However, I have run into a slight problem.  Storable.pm works fine at home on
> my Win95 machine.  Since I can't do shell work with my ISP (Hiway.com), I
> figured I'd just FTP all the files that the .ppm provided.  When I try to run
> my script from the server, Storable is not working.  It uses AutoLoader and
> DynaLoader, and DynaLoader is crashing when it looks for the .dll file (near
> as I can tell) for Storable.  (Confused yet?)  I can't say for certain, but
> I'd bet that because of the platform differences, I can't just FTP my PC
> files and think that everything will be hunky dory on my server which runs
> UNIX.  (Like I said, the module works with no hitches on my PC).

Yep.  That's the case.  What you need to do is go to:

http://search.cpan.org/search?module=Storable

and download the gzip'd tar file.  FTP that over to your ISP

> Soooo, where does that leave me without a paddle?  Well, there are two
> solutions that I have yet to try, (and I've tried quite a few already...)
> First, I would not mind in the least writing a program that simulated a shell
> script, or one that mimicked the
> "
> perl Makefile.PL;
> make
> make install
> "
> stuff.  But can I simulate a shell from a Perl script?  How?

There are different ways you can do this.  Mark presented a solution
that I haven't looked at yet.  You could also create a special CGI that
executes a series of system() commands to do what you want.  i.e.:

system('gunzip', 'Storable-0.6.7.tar.gz');
system('tar', '-xvf', 'Storable-0.6.7.tar');

etc... system()ize the following likewise:

perl Makefile.PL
make
make install

this is untested, and I'm not responsible if it causes global meltdown.
:)

> Second solution is to have someone working in UNIX that might have a
> (working) copy of the Storable.pm module and its auto loading subdirectories.
>  I could just FTP the correct (hopefully) stuff.  'Maybe' that will work.

You're best bet is to actualy build the module on the target machine, as
not all *NIXs are binary compatable.

> Changing ISP's is more and more enticing...
> Thanks to anyone that listened for listening...

Having telnet or ssh access would make this easier.  Good luck!

--
For a list of the ways which technology has failed
to improve our quality of life, press 3.