Phoenix.pm: Web site ideas

Derek Cline derek at dc-design.com
Fri Apr 16 14:46:17 CDT 1999

>I just put out a file of ideas from previous meetings:
>
>http://phoenix.pm.org/ideas.txt

Those ideas look great. I will see if I can start messing around with
a decent design that we can use as a template for site navigation and
content.

The Omaha.pm group has some funny stuff up, such as the following
swearing in ceremony:
>------------------------------
>Swearing In Ceremony
>Here is a sample ceremony involving a new initiate
>named "John Doe":
>
>Please place your left hand on the Blue Camel, raise your right
>hand, and repeat after me:
>
>"I, (state your name),"
>   "I, John Doe,"
>"Believe that Perl is as Perl does,"
>   "Believe that Perl is as Perl does,"
>"So I will try to do more stuff with it."
>   "So I will try to do more stuff with it."
>"So help me Larry."
>  "So help me Larry."
>"You are hereby dubbed $monger{Omaha}[n]," (stating the index 'n')
>"or just 'Number n', for short." (re-affirming the index 'n' )
>"push @{ $monger{Omaha} }, "John Doe";" (assigning the index 'n')
>
>This last line is pronounced :
>'push to HoA monger Omaha, "John Doe".'  The 'HoA' rhymes with
>'Boa' ... as in 'constrictor'.
>
>With that, the formal ceremony is complete. The initiate now enjoys
>all of the benefits, rights, and privileges of full membership
>(whatever those may be ... I haven't noticed any).
>---------------------------------

>P.S.  We had a great meeting last night.  We even talked about Perl a
>little. ;)

He he, yeah, sure, whatever. :)  What kind of group is this anyway? ;)

I do want to thank Doug for putting together some great examples of
using Tk that I had not yet seen before.

Is there a topic decided for the next meeting? Two things that I
think would be interesting is an in depth intro to Object Oriented
Perl (almost like a verbal version of perltoot... depending on the
knowledge base of those who are plan on attending the next meeting)
or different types of database access with Perl.

Derek Cline
derek at dc-design.com
http://www.dc-design.com