Phoenix.pm: Web site v.000000001

Doug and Julie Miles dmiles at primenet.com
Fri Apr 16 13:53:52 CDT 1999

I have the hacked web page up now.  Here's the URL:

http://phoenix.pm.org/phoenix.html

Have at it!  I think that we'll probably need a web page pumpking* to keep
the changes organized.

* Chip Salzenberg gets credit for that, with a nod to his coworker, David
Croy. We had passed around various names (baton, token, hot potato) but
none caught on. Then, Chip asked:

[begin quote]

   Who has the patch pumpkin?

To explain: David Croy once told me once that at a previous job, there was
one tape drive and multiple systems that used it for backups. But instead
of some high-tech exclusion software, they used a low-tech method to
prevent multiple simultaneous backups: a stuffed pumpkin. No one was
allowed to make backups unless they had the ``backup pumpkin''.

[end quote]

The name has stuck. The holder of the pumpkin is sometimes called the
pumpking.

Quoted from the perlhist document.

Doug and Julie Miles