[Philadelphia-pm] Monday, Nov 13

Walt Mankowski waltman at pobox.com
Sun Nov 12 16:37:17 PST 2017

There might be a few minor tweaks, but this is the same talk I gave in
August at FOSSCON. This was my abstract:

  COBOL is the Rodney Dangerfield of programming languages — it doesn’t
  get any respect. COBOL is routinely denigrated for its verbosity and
  dismissed as archaic, and for good reason: COBOL bears little to no
  resemblance to modern programming languages. Yet COBOL is far from a
  dead language. It processes an estimated 85% of all business
  transactions, and 5 billion lines of new COBOL code are written every
  year!

  Last year at FOSSCON I argued that COBOL isn’t such a bad
  language. This year we’ll journey deep into the past to recreate a
  retro bug that could only happen in COBOL! Our travels will include:

  * syntactic white space!
  * scotch tape!
  * dueling compiler options!
  * virtual punch cards!
  * sentences!
  * code blocks!
  * periods!

 No punch cards were harmed in the creation of this talk.

This is a longer version of a talk I first gave at !!Con, which is why
the description contains so many exclamation points. :)

Walt