[Philadelphia-pm] Who wants a talk on Graphite?

Mitchell Perilstein mitchell.perilstein at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 14:36:17 PDT 2012

Yes, I would be interested.

As maybe a point of related interest to others in this thread, I just
finished gluing up something less overkill than graphite at work,
where we needed to explore a bunch of time series data by a handful of
people and discuss the graphs by mail.   The interactive zoom and pan
of Gnuplot was attractive for diving into a graph for geeks but you
can't get that on a web page for non geeks.  Matlab is okay but you
need a bunch of licenses and Windows and some other issues.

We ended up:
 - stream the data into some MySQL keyed by time, at around a million rows/day
 - pull it out with a simple Perl with CGI and DBI that does a time
constrained query
 - do some domain math on it
 - spew a big chunk of HTML and javascript
 - the JS contains a simple array of data for the query and a callout
to http://dygraphs.com to do the graphing

dygraphs gives you zoom and pan over simple time series.  It also lets
you link graphs so that as you zoom and pan one of them, the other
graphs follow along.  This was great for us to show different
attributes on different Y scales at once.  You can also just grab a
link from the address bar to pass the CGI parameters to friends to
stick in mail or wiki.

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Kurt Starsinic <kstarsinic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It is my understanding that there is something called "IRC" somewhere
> on the IntarWeb, and that Ricardo has perhaps drummed up interest in a
> talk on Graphite:
>
> http://graphite.wikidot.com/
>
> I can do a talk, but I won't be ready for our September meeting.  I
> could do October or, since this isn't technically directly
> Perl-related, we could meet off schedule.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> - Kurt

Mitchell Perilstein <mitchell.perilstein at gmail.com>
(484) 318-1138