[Philadelphia-pm] August Meeting: August 1, 7 PM, Nodding Head

Walt Mankowski waltman at pobox.com
Sun Jul 31 19:53:00 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 01:27:05PM -0400, Randall Sindlinger wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Walt Mankowski <waltman at pobox.com> wrote:
>

> > Thanks, that's good to know.  If we don't have anything to present, I
> > suppose we could do an hour of Q&A and then go get something to eat in
> > the neighborhood.  Or we could just meet at a restaurant.
> >
> > Any thoughts either way?
> >
> > Walt
> >

> I was definitely planning on attending.  I think keeping it a bit
> more "official" and convening for a bit, if only for Q & A, would be
> worthwhile.  It's great that Darian can keep the space for us, but
> I'd still consider it a "use it or lose it" situation.  There are
> plenty of folks that will just commandeer space if no one seems to
> be using it :-)

Well, we've had one vote for having the meeting anyway, and one vote
(off-list) for Nodding Head.  Since no one else seems to care, and
since it's easier for me to get home from Nodding Head, I'm going to
use my executive (or former executive) fiat and say that we're going
to meet at Nodding Head Brewpub at 7 PM. Nodding Head is at 1516
Sansom St.  According to their website they've got their Berliner
Weisse on tap, which is another reason we should go there!

> On another note, I am definitely interested in keeping this group
> alive; I've changed jobs, and no longer work for Penn, but my new
> position involves a lot of perl scripting, now on unix *and*
> windows.  As such, PerlMongers has become more relevant to me than
> PLUG (Philly Linux User's Group).  Phl.pm and PLUG compete with each
> other slightly in that they are both evening meetings the 1st week
> of the month; when push comes to shove, I'll be choosing to make
> room for phl.pm over PLUG.

I'd like to keep the group alive, too.  But the problem we've had in
the past is getting people to give talks.  I'm not as good an
arm-twister as Chris is, and that, as much as anything, is why the
group devolved into just getting together for beers 3 or 4 times a
year.

The first Monday of the month isn't great timing for me, but I'm not
sure what would be better. One problem is that we lose July and
September for holidays. We'll also lose January 2012 for New Years.

Walt