[Philadelphia-pm] Reminder: tech meeting Monday night, December 5

John Kominetz john at kominetz.com
Tue Dec 6 14:25:29 PST 2011

I have to say I was a little confused from the start because of the
statement that each thread was a complete interpreter. I "interpreted" that
as each thread was actually a separate PROCESS, and that all this was
hijacking threads as a metaphor for inter-process communication. So I wrote
a test with five threads that each waited for 30 seconds and watched the
activity monitor.  It reported one perl process with six threads, running
for 30 seconds. End of Duh.

That also renders moot my question about "threads" surviving beyond the
lifetime of the caller. Being real (OS) threads, that's not possible.
Changing my test from join() to detach(), the threads die unexpected,
untimely deaths as the process comes crashing down upon them.