[pgh-pm] 64 bit hex() function

beer at cmu.edu beer at cmu.edu
Tue Aug 28 06:54:36 PDT 2007

We are running a perl application on a 64 bit machine.  We have a piece of
code that takes a hex number and converts it to decimal for storage.  The
hex number is an id number from another system.  This system has started
passing us 64 bit numbers recently.  The new 64 bit values cause an integer
overflow in the built-in hex() function.

I was not able to find anything via a web search to indicate this is a known
problem.  Anyone else have experience/insights that might help me around
this issue?

Thanks

-bill