[pgh-pm] DBIx::SearchProfiles

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Thu May 12 07:37:16 PDT 2005

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Daniel J. Wright wrote:

> Slides from my talk are available here:
>
>  http://www.dwright.org/coursework/DBIx-SearchProfiles/index.html

Someday I'll make it to another meeting. Have you compared this to
Class::DBI? I've started converting some of my code to use that. Based on
your slides, they look fairly similar. An additional feature of Class::DBI
is the ability to declare the foreign key relationships. It creates
accessor functions for each column.
For example:
$customer->name();
$customer->orders(); should return an array of order objects.

There are still two things I don't like. I have a 5 line query that I'm
not sure how to convert to use Class::DBI.
When you want to create a new record, it does the insert immediately
instead of when you call update or dbi_commit. If there are NOT NULL
columns that you haven't specified yet, the database will complain.
Sometimes I want to create a partial record that might be filled in by the
end of the transaction or sometimes thrown away.

> If people are interested, I can give a short demo next month on how I
> built a gateway to send picture messages from my Verizon phone to bloxsom.

For a while I had a small script that I could email pictures from my phone
and they would be put into my gallery. I switched to a different gallery,
but never updated the script.

-james