[pgh-pm] More communicating with text: New IMDB-Rating Decoder Ring

Tom Moertel tom at moertel.com
Fri Jul 15 20:43:37 PDT 2005

Inspired by Robert's talk, I recreated my IMDB Movie-Rating Decoder ring
to mimic the data tables in old engineering and statistics books.  I was
able to pack in a ton of data, including percentile scores for every
film genre from Action to Western.

The decoder ring instantly turns a movie's rating on IMDB into a more
useful number:  a percentile that shows where the movie ranks among all
other movies.  For example, "Spider-Man 2" has a 7.9 rating on IMDB.
With the decoder ring, I can tell that the movie is better than about 95
percent of movies in general and better than about 97 percent of action
movies.  "Fantastic Four," on the other hand has a 6.1 rating and ranks
at an unimpressive 41 percent mark.  Just 1.8 IMDB points can make a big
difference.

http://community.moertel.com/ss/space/IMDB+Movie-Rating+Decoder+Ring

Cheers,
Tom