[pgh-pm] Planning Open Source conferance for Governments and Non-Profits

Barrie Slaymaker barries at slaysys.com
Thu Jan 6 14:39:30 PST 2005

FANTASTIC IDEA!

Ahem.

I have contacts at several local NPOs (the Pgh. Symphony, the Pittsburgh
Public Theater, the Carriage House Children's Center, St. Edmund's
Academy, the Ellis school, the Girl Scouts), etc, so I might be able to
drum up some interest.

I'll also try to contribute talks, though I have no success stories to
tell, as you'll see in a moment.  However, I can talk about OSS in
general and what you can do with it; especially web server or database
stuff (the hard core programming we do would not be of too much
interest, I suspect ;).

The Symphony used to be (and likely still is) completely uninterested
because they get big ticket items at a significant discount or as
non-cash donations and because the like easy-to-manage systems that are
compatible with eachother (in UI and at a technical level) and with
other organizations they exchange information with.  So OSS would only
thrive at such an organization if they have a technically inclined OSS
proselytizer.  That's true almost across the board with the schools and
arts organizations I list above, though Macs do occur in the schools
more frequently than in the arts orgs.

MS Office, MS Exchange, $FundraisingPackage and Lotus Notes tend to be
major gravity wells for the arts organizations, and there are few if any
OSS gravity wells.

- Barrie